Going away these holidays? Why not take your dog with you! Here are some great tips before you go:
- Pack food and water containers for your dog
- Wash your dog and treat him for ticks, fleas, flies and other parasites. Request an appointment for grooming here.
- Use an approved dog seat belt to ensure your dog is securely but comfortably restrained (come in and speak to Best Friends for advice)
- Make sure your dog's vaccinations are up to date. Request an appointment at Our Vet here. Learn about the importance of vaccinations on the Our Vet website here.
- Ensure he has been to the toilet before you go (don't forget your poo bags!)
- Ensure he has only has a light meal 3 hours before getting in the car
- Check your mobile phone number is on your dog’s collar in case he wanders off while away (this is also why micro-chipping is so important, and keeping your details up to date!)
- Remember that domestic animals are banned from national parks, nature reserves and Aboriginal areas and state recreation areas, so double-check that dogs are allowed at your destination (some forests allow dogs for day visits and overnight camping).
- Bring some of your dog's toys and bedding with you so that he has something familiar with him while he you are all away.