Feeding your pet premium food is one of the best ways to keep them happy and healthy, and it starts from the day you bring you them home.
Different dogs and cats at different life stages need specific nutrition to keep them healthy. There are so many different things to consider; factors like size, breed, age, environment, exercise, heredity and weight management can mean a particular variety of premium food is more effective for your pet’s health.
Premium food can also be less costly than economy brands, as premium food typically has higher quality ingredients, formula and nutritional value which contribute more to the health of your dog and even offer health prevention benefits. Because the nutritional value per kibble is higher, your pet needs to eat less to get the same nutrition.
Did you know that premium food is:
- made to provide a perfectly balanced diet
- great for joint care and weight loss management
- formulated for different life stages, activity levels and breeds
- developed for better dental health, reduces tartar build up and prevents plaque
- often better value when comparing cost per serve
- effective in reducing odour (talk to our team about back-end performance!) and fewer, firmer stools
- proven to give a healthy skin and coat
- best for greater overall wellbeing
A Best Friends team member can give you the right advice on premium food. They will ask you questions about your dog's age, breed and lifestyle. For example:
- Puppies require a different formula than adult dogs, as they need extra energy and a controlled level of protein, calcium and calories
- Some small breeds have a faster metabolism and need more calories, while larger dogs tend to have larger appetites, and benefit from a mix of vitamins and minerals that support joints and cartilage
- Active dogs are suited to a formula that provides higher levels of fat, protein and vitamins such as B12. Less active dogs require less fat, so a lighter formula can help avoid weight gain
- Dogs can develop sensitivities to food groups so a specific formula may be required
- Special prescription diets are also available to treat a variety of health conditions or aid in the recovery of an ailment
Don't forget - if your cat or dog treats, you should reduce the amount of kibble you give them in a day.
For more information to select the best and most nutritious food for your pet, speak to your vet or the Best Friends team in store.